Associate in Science Degree (Articulated to B.S. Degree)
(72 Credit Hours)
Dr. Sue Garland
941-408-1300, ext. 65209 Venice
Graduates of the program are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed as a registered nurse.
The Nursing Program is approved by the Florida Board of Nursing and is accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission located at 3343 Peachtree Rd., NE, Suite 500, Atlanta, GA 30326. NLNAC’s phone number is (404) 975-5000.
Program Entrance Requirements (Prerequisites - application requirements)
1. A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or better in the following prerequisite courses, and successful completion of a nursing entrance test at the required level, are required to make an application to the Nursing Program.
BSC 2085C - Anatomy and Physiology I
BSC 2085L - Anatomy and Physiology I Laboratory
BSC 2086C - Anatomy and Physiology II
BSC 2086L - Anatomy and Physiology II Laboratory
ENC 1101 - Written Communication I
Mathematics Any Area II, A.A. mathematics course, MAC 1105 - College Algebra OR STA 2023 - Elementary Statistics preferred
Additional General Academic Requirements
2. In addition to the program entrance requirements (prerequisites and testing), students are strongly encouraged to complete as many of the general academic requirements, listed below, PRIOR to entry into the nursing program to ease their academic load. An overall and cumulate GPA of 2.75 or better is required in prerequisite and additional general academic courses. A grade of “C” or better is required for all coursework for the Nursing Program.
Additional General Academic Courses:
DEP 2004 - Human Development: Life Span
ENC 1102 - Written Communication II
Humanities Any Area IV, A.A. humanities course
MCB 2010C - Microbiology
MCB 2010L - Microbiology Laboratory
PSY 2012 - General Psychology
3. A completed Nursing Program application with the appropriate fee, submitted during the posted application period - dates are posted at scf.edu/Nursing. (A separate application is required for admission to the College.
Upon acceptance, the following are required:
- A statement of satisfactory physical and mental health from a licensed physician or nurse practitioner. (Form to be provided.)
- Completion of required immunizations (form to be provided).
- A criminal background check (form to be provided) and drug screen.
- Successful completion of the American Heart Association’s CPR for the Health Care Provider with AED.
This program is offered during the fall and spring semesters. The program is a limited enrollment program with a selective admission process that is based upon the student’s GPA and completion of prerequisites (including testing) and additional general academic practices.
Any student who has been convicted, had adjudication withheld, or has criminal charges pending other than a minor traffic violation will need to obtain approval from the Florida Board of Nursing (or another state’s board) for permission to take the licensure examination upon completion of the SCF Nursing Program.