Mar 24, 2023
Return to: Programs of Study
Associate in Science Degree
(60 Credit Hours)
A.S. Hospitality and Tourism is a new AS degree that provides a pathway for students interested in the hospitality and tourism industry and who wish to transfer to USF to complete their BAS degree in Hospitality and Tourism. This program offers a sequence of courses that provides coherent and rigorous content aligned with challenging academic standards
and relevant technical knowledge and skills needed to prepare for further education and careers in the Hospitality & Tourism career cluster; provides technical skill proficiency, and includes competency-based applied learning that contributes to the academic knowledge, higher-order reasoning and problem-solving skills, work attitudes, general
employability skills, technical skills, and occupation-specific skills, and knowledge of all aspects of the Hospitality & Tourism career cluster.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate employability skills.
- Demonstrate customer service skills.
- Apply human relations skills.
- Demonstrate proficiency in communication skills.
- Demonstrate proficiency in applying mathematics skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of economic principles applicable to the hospitality industry.
- Identify effective selling techniques and procedures.
- Explain the organizational structure and functional application of the hospitality industry.
- Perform general hotel duties.
- Manage the front office.
- Demonstrate housekeeping operations and management functions.
- Demonstrate leadership and supervisory skills.
- Apply and maintain security and safety procedures.
- Manage hotel staffing operations.
- Analyze laws that affect the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Operate liability and risk identification program.
- Plan and maintain purchasing and receiving procedures.
- Demonstrate the use of hospitality and tourism software.
- Exhibit skills for resort/club/marina/hotel management.
General Education Courses:
Subtotal Credit Hours: 15
Program Specializations Courses
Subtotal Credit Hours: 45
* Prerequisite may be required
Articulated credit from a technical college/secondary school may be applicable. For more information click here: http://www.scf.edu/Academics/CareerTechnicalEducation/Career_Pthwys.asp.
Required Courses and recommended Sequence: The following is a recommended sequence of courses for completing this program. Developmental courses and prerequisite course requirements, credit load, and/or course availability may affect a student’s individual progress. Course availability within the program sequences is specifically intended for full-time students who begin their course work with the fall semester. Students should always consult their online degree planner for the catalog year that they entered the college, and contact their program manager to better understand typical course availability and individual program planning.
Please follow link to: http://www.scf.edu/Academics/degree-pathways.asp
Return to: Programs of Study