Associate in Science Degree (Articulated to B.S. Degree)
(72 Credit Hours)
Debra Marr, R.N., M.S.N.
941-408-1300, ext. 65209 Venice
Graduates of the program are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed as a registered nurse.
The Nursing Program is approved by the Florida Board of Nursing and is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) located at 3343 Peachtree Rd., NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326. ACEN’s phone number is (404) 975-5000.
*NOTE: Students accepted into this program prior to Fall 2014, please refer to the catalog in effect at the time you were accepted.
Program Entrance Requirements (Prerequisites - application requirements)
1. A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or better in the following prerequisite courses, and successful completion of a nursing entrance test at the required level, are required to make an application to the Associate in Science (A.S.) in Nursing Program.
BSC 2085C - Anatomy and Physiology I (4 Credit Hours)
BSC 2085L - Anatomy and Physiology I Laboratory (0 Credit Hours)
BSC 2086C - Anatomy and Physiology II (4 Credit Hours)
BSC 2086L - Anatomy and Physiology II Laboratory (0 Credit Hours)
ENC 1101 - Written Communication I (3 Credit Hours)
Mathematics Any Area II, A.A. mathematics course (3 Credit Hours)
Additional General Academic Requirements
2. In addition to the program entrance requirements (prerequisites and testing), students are strongly encouraged to complete as many as possible of the general academic requirements, listed below, PRIOR to entry into the nursing program to ease their academic load. An overall and cumulate GPA of 2.75 or better is required in prerequisite and additional general academic courses. A grade of “C” or better is required for all coursework for the A.S. in Nursing Program.
Additional general academic courses:
DEP 2004 - Human Development: Life Span (3 Credit Hours)
ENC 1102 - Written Communication II (3 Credit Hours)
Humanities - Any Area IV, A.A. humanities course (3 Credit Hours)
MCB 2010C - Microbiology (4 Credit Hours)
MCB 2010L - Microbiology Laboratory (0 Credit Hours)
PSY 2012 - General Psychology (3 Credit Hours)
3. A completed A.S. in Nursing Program application with the appropriate fee, submitted during the posted application period. Dates are posted at scf.edu/Nursing. A separate application is required for admission to the College.
Upon acceptance, the following are required:
- A statement of satisfactory physical and mental health from a licensed physician or nurse practitioner (form to be provided).
- Completion of required immunizations (form to be provided).
- A criminal background check (form to be provided) and drug screen.
- Successful completion of the American Heart Association’s CPR for the Health Care Provider with AED.
This program is offered during the Fall and Spring semesters. The program is a limited enrollment program with a selective admission process that is based upon the student’s GPA and completion of prerequisites (including testing) and additional general academic practices.
Any student who has been convicted, had adjudication withheld, or has criminal charges pending other than a minor traffic violation will need to obtain approval from the Florida Board of Nursing (or another state’s board) for permission to take the licensure examination upon completion of the SCF A.S. in Nursing Program.