Associate in Science Degree
(74 Credit Hours)
Matthew Connell, MPT
941-408-1300, ext. 65346 Venice
Graduates of the program will become physical therapist assistants (PTAs), who are skilled health care providers working under the supervision of a physical therapist. The PTA assists the physical therapist in implementing and performing treatment programs, teaching exercises and functional activities to improve the patient’s abilities and communicating the patient’s responses to the physical therapist.
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate is eligible to take the national Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy licensing examination to become a licensed physical therapist assistant.
The State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota (SCF) Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation In Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) of the American Physical Therapy Association, located at 1111 N. Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314. CAPTE’s phone number is (703) 706-3245.
Program Entrance Requirements
- Earned grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 or better on ALL general education courses required by the program toward the degree and a required minimum overall GPA of 2.0 to meet graduation requirements.
- Satisfactory completion of any remedial coursework needed to be eligible for college level courses.
NOTE: Prerequisite courses may be required for ENC 1101 and mathematics requirement. These prerequisites MUST be taken PRIOR to entry into PHT 1007C to be eligible to take the required courses. Consult the course descriptions in the Catalog or the specific department of the College for additional information.
- Completion of prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or better at the time of application to be considered for priority acceptance.
BSC 2085C - Anatomy and Physiology I
BSC 2085L - Anatomy and Physiology I Laboratory
ENC 1101 - Written Communication I
PSY 2012 - General Psychology
Mathematics + Choose from Area II, A.S.
- A minimum grade of “C” is required for all courses applied to the PTA degree.
- A completed PTA Program application and payment of a one-time PTA Program application fee of $20. (A separate application is required for admission to the College.)
- Verification of attendance at a PTA Program information session (see scf.edu/PTA for session dates.)
Upon acceptance, the following are required:
- A statement of satisfactory physical and mental health and a record of current serum titers or inoculations verifying immunity from communicable diseases from a licensed physician or nurse practitioner. (Form will be provided upon acceptance to the program.)
- A criminal background check (form to be provided upon acceptance to the program) and drug screen.
- Successful completion of the Basic Life Support for the Health Care Provider course offered through the American Heart Association.
- Mandatory attendance at the Physical Therapist Assistant Program orientation. (Date to be announced.)
Students are admitted to the Physical Therapist Assistant Program ONCE a year in the Fall term. This is a limited enrollment program. Completion of all or part of the general academic coursework toward the degree does not guarantee acceptance into the program. However, priority is given to applicants who, at the time of application, have completed the most hours toward the degree and who submit their applications during the priority period. If there are more qualified applicants than available seats in the program, the GPA of the general education courses required by the program will be the determining factor. After the priority period, applications will be accepted on a space-available basis. For additional program and admissions information, check the website scf.edu/PTA.